image courtesy of flickr
I was lucky enough to recently spend a week in one of my favorite states, Maine. It was a trip featuring some foul and some fabulous weather, some gorgeous scenery, and, of course, some excellent food. The culinary highlights included:
- Fresh lobster – of course – from a tiny shack on the coast, steamed and served with little adornment in a homemade lobster roll
- Fried haddock sandwich from Becky’s Diner in Portland
- The “best” burger in Maine (as featured on the Food Network) at the cozy Owl’s Head General Store. It was undeniably good, and required about 10 napkins.
- Whoopie pies! (the official Maine state treat) from Cranberry Isle Grocery in Portland. I tried pumpkin-orange, pumpkin-maple, and original
- Amazing blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries picked straight off the bushes (thanks to a generous friend of my parents for letting us roam his farm fields).
- Excellent homemade ice cream (salted caramel and vanilla) from the Stone Fox Farm Creamery truck in Augusta
- Fabuluous, giant “Sicilian Slab” pizza from Micucci Grocery in Portland. Truly awesome.
I wish we had had time for more. But that just means I’ll have to go back!